Managing Symptoms of Perimenopause in Dallas, TX
Perimenopause is a time where a woman’s body is going through natural changes in levels of estrogen and progesterone. This change in hormones can cause hot flashes, mood swings, sleep problems, bone loss and problems with concentration. Dr. Tricia Shimer is a board-certified OBGYN with extensive experience providing care to women experiencing symptoms of perimenopause. She will take the time to fully evaluate your symptoms in order to determine the treatment that is right for you. Call our office in Dallas, TX at (469) 364-3760 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Shimer today!
Symptoms of Perimenopause
During the perimenopausal period, a majority of women notice the following symptoms:
- Menstrual Irregularity – The length of time and flow of your periods may vary as you get closer to menopause. If your periods are more than 60 days apart, you are in the late stages of perimenopause.
- Hot flashes – The intensity, length and frequency of hot flashes vary from person to person.
- Mood swings – Irritability and depression are common in premenopausal women.
- Change in cholesterol levels – The decline in estrogen levels may also lead to changes in your blood cholesterol levels.
- Vaginal problems – A decrease in estrogen may also cause vaginal tissues to lose lubrication, making intercourse painful at times.
How to Manage Perimenopause Symptoms
Here are a few tips to ease the symptoms of menopause and perimenopause:
- Exercise more often – Exercising for at least 20 minutes, three days a week eases hot flashes by decreasing hormones.
- Make lifestyle changes – Decreasing alcohol and caffeine intake can help with depression and mood swings.
- Try vaginal estrogen cream – Certain creams can give you a slight dose of estrogen, eliminating pain and discomfort during intercourse.
- Change your diet – Adding more fruits and vegetables into your diet while following a low calorie, low fat diet can lessen the symptoms of menopause.
Menopause Management in Dallas, TX
Our board certified OBGYN physician, Dr. Tricia Shimer, provides care for women in their perimenopausal and menopausal periods. Call our office at (469) 364-3760 to make an appointment on the services we offer.