Hysterectomy Specialist in Dallas, TX
Hysterectomy is a surgical procedure used to remove a woman’s uterus and cervix. This surgery is often used as a means of treating severe conditions of the uterus, including uterine fibroids, endometriosis, uterine prolapse, abnormal vaginal bleeding, and uterine cancer. Dr. Tricia Shimer is an expert gynecologic surgeon that specializes in using minimally invasive surgical techniques. Dr. Shimer will take the time to fully explain the procedure and answer any questions you may have. Call (469) 364-3760 to schedule a consultation at our OBGYN office in Dallas, TX today!
Types of Hysterectomies
Dr. Shimer understands that every patient is entirely unique, which is why she may recommend a variety of different hysterectomy types, such as:
- A partial hysterectomy: Also known as a subtotal or supracervical hysterectomy, this procedure only removes the upper portion of the patient’s uterus, leaving the cervix in place.
- A total hysterectomy: A majority of hysterectomies performed will belong to this category, which is the standard for removing both a woman’s uterus and cervix.
- A radical hysterectomy: Individuals may also elect to remove more than just their uterus and/or cervix. A radical hysterectomy is used remove these organs in addition to the upper part of the vagina, tissue surrounding both sides of the cervix, and possibly even the ovaries or fallopian tubes if desired.
Different Surgical Approaches
There are also a few different ways to perform a hysterectomy. The method chosen will depend upon the patient’s particular case, as well as the surgeon’s training and experience with various techniques.
- Open surgery: Traditionally, hysterectomies are completed as an open surgery, also known as an abdominal hysterectomy. This particular procedure involves making a 5-7 inch incision in the lower abdomen, which the surgeon will use to access the uterus and remove it entirely.
- Vaginal hysterectomy: Instead of making an incision in the abdomen, this approach involves a cut in the vagina that widens the opening to allow the uterus through.
- Laparoscopic hysterectomy: In order to minimize the size of the patient’s incision and give them a shorter recovery period, your doctor can guide laparoscopic tools within the abdomen and remove the uterus through the vagina.
- Robotic hysterectomy: The da Vinci Surgical System was created to allow surgeons to complete a variety of minimally invasive surgeries by utilizing small instruments and a three-dimensional screen to lower the patient’s risk for potential complications.
It is important to thoroughly discuss any sort of surgery with your physician so that you can be fully informed and educated before making a final decision on which option is best for you and your health. In regards to hysterectomy, many women will spend a substantial amount of time reflecting on how this procedure will affect their ability to have children.
Once the uterus is removed, it will be impossible for the patient to conceive. Those wishing to preserve their fertility are not candidates for a hysterectomy, and should consider alternative methods of treatment.
Schedule a Hysterectomy Consultation in Dallas, TX
It may seem a bit overwhelming with all of the possibilities regarding a hysterectomy. The best solution is to consult with a specialist on the subject. Dr. Shimer has extensive experience in treating a wide range of uterine conditions using multiple types of hysterectomy procedures.
Contact Dr. Shimer to schedule an appointment and address all of your questions and concerns surrounding the thought of a hysterectomy. Call (469) 364-3760 to schedule an appointment at our OBGYN office in Dallas, TX today!